August 25, 2008

What the heck is THAT??


It's kohlrabi!

I'd never seen it until we moved to Montana. We were at the Farmers Market one morning and I asked what it was. The man told me it was the "heart of a cabbage". After a little research, here's what I found.

The kholrabi is a member of the cabbage (crucifer or mustard) family. The part we eat is the enlarged stem from which the leaves develop. It is best harvested as soon as it grows to a diameter of two to three inches. Kohlrabi may be white, green, or purple in color. Leaves of young plants may be used like spinach or mustard greens.

Kohlrabi is a good source of vitamin C and potassium. It is low in both sodium and calories. One cup diced and cooked kholrabi contains only 40 calories and 140% of the RDA for vitamin C.

The kohlrabi you see here are from our garden. It is good to eat raw and tastes like a very mild broccoli/jicama flavor.

I found a recipe from Gourmet Magazine for

Kohlrabi & Apple Slaw with Creamy Slaw Dressing.
1/2 c heavy cream
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 T coarse-grained mustard
3 T finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 tsp sugar
2 bunches kohlrabi, peeled and julienned
1 Granny Smith apple

In a bowl, whisk the cream until it holds soft peaks. Whisk in the lemon juice, mustard, parsley, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir the kohlrabi strips and the apples, peeled, cored, and diced, and combine the salad well.
This is a picture of the finished salad. It was good, but a little difficult to eat because of the julienned strips of kohlrabi. Next time I make this recipe I'll chop the kohlrabi as I did the apples.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...