October 9, 2008

Portuguese Chicken and Rice

I've been wanting to make some of my grandmother's Portuguese Chicken and Rice.
I searched on the Internet and although I didn't find a recipe that reminded me of hers, I did find one that sounded very good. You can find it here.
Full Bellies, Happy Kids looks like a great blog with lots of Portuguese dishes, and one that I'll be returning to often! Thanks, Sandra, for this delicious recipe!

I made a few changes to the original recipe along the way, taking into account our tastes. You can see my recipe here.
Put chicken pieces into a pot with bacon, onion and a bay leaf. (I used thighs, but you can use boneless breasts, or cut a whole chicken into pieces) Cook on medium heat until chicken is cooked.Remove the cooked chicken, onion, bacon and bay leaf to a bowl and set aside. Pour rice into the chicken broth and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
This is the yummy part: mix butter, olive oil, paprika, garlic powder and Old Bay Seasoning.Spread the cooked rice in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.Roll each piece of chicken around in the butter mixture and place them on the rice. Add the onions and bacon around the chicken. Then pour the rest of the butter mixture over the entire casserole.Bake at 425 for 30 minutes or until the chicken is browned and bacon is crispy.
This is a great dish... simple and delicious! Try it out and let me know how you like it!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by at my place. I love to cook, so I'm sure I'll find some good stuff here :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...