November 16, 2008

Chicken Cacciatore

You could Google recipes for Chicken Cacciatore and get 185,000 results in 0.11 seconds, or you could do what I do and wing it.

I haven't made this dish in a while, so I was glad to be reminded of it when I saw that Kevin from Closet Cooking gave us his recipe a few days ago.

Here's how I winged it (wunged it? wanged it?) Fry chicken thighs in olive oil until they're browned. Remove them from the pan. That takes care of the chicken part of this dish - for a while, anyway. Easy, eh?

Put an anchovy in the same pan. Smoosh it up with a spoon as it melts away. You won't be able to taste the anchovy when the gravy is done, but you'll know there's something delicious about this gravy... I promise!

When the anchovy has melted, add some coarsley chopped onions. I like to use lots of onions in my Italian gravy. Add some red pepper flakes, three cloves of minced garlic, a sprinkle of granulated garlic, black pepper, and some dried parsley, rosemary, and oregno. Sometimes I add mushrooms or zucchini.

When the onions are soft, put in 1/2 cup red wine, a can of tomato sauce and a can of stewed tomatoes. Stir that all around then return the chicken thighs to the pan. Cook on a medium simmer for about 30 minutes.

This will be some of the best Italian gravy you've ever had (even if I do say so myself).

I usually serve this over pasta (spaghetti, to be exact) but while I was reading Kevin's recipe, I saw that he served his Chicken Cacciatore over Risotto! I would never have thought of that, so we'll give it a try. Here's Kevin's recipe for cheesey risotto here. And here's our finished dish of Chicken Cacciatore over Risotto. It was so good for dinner last night that I had it again for breakfast. Really!


11 comments:

  1. I just read recently that cacciatore is more often served with risotto than pasta. Sounds delicious.

    I know what you mean about the anchovy. It adds a lot of flavor, but you don't really taste the fish itself.

    Love this dish! Good job wunging it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had anchovy. I may try this recipe. We are always looking for new things for dinner and I bet the family would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! I like the sound of using anchovies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh this looks good--I have been getting bored of my normal chicken dishes, so I might have to throw this into the mix...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been so long since I've had or made Chicken Cacciatore. I love the thought of putting it over Risotto!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, your cacciatore looks wonderful. Thanks for stopping by. You asked about the sweet tamales, if you will check out my blog, I just posted a recipe for the sweet kind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen :)

    Drool... oops! Sorry about that ;)

    I'm going to have to make that soon!

    I loved the sweet card you found in your old cookbook. How cute is that?! :)

    Have a great night!
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, I also made chicken cacciatore last night after readin Kevin's post! Looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! I love to "wing" it with chicken too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like winging it - in cooking and in pretty much everything else in my life! The results are always so much more worthwhile.

    Closest analogy I can think of: paint by numbers vs. painting with your heart. No comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah you say gravy too! This recipe looks excellent and not over peppery. I have had it when people have put green bell pepper and a ton of it to boot. Ick! Over risotto too! Yummy even better!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...