January 17, 2009

Copper Pennies

No, no... not this kind of copper penny...


... we're talking about Copper Pennies!

Copper Pennies is a cold marinated salad made with carrots and onions, and is named because the carrots are cut to resemble copper pennies!

This is an easy dish to prepare and one that is good for a potluck. Don't forget to print the recipe and take it along too, because people are going to ask for it!

1 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 (10-3/4 oz) can tomato soup
2 pounds carrots, peeled, sliced and cooked until just tender
1 medium onion, sliced very thin

Combine sugar, vinegar, oil, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper over medium heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add soup. Mix carrots and onions together in large dish; pour sauce over the vegetables and stir gently to combine. Refrigerate overnight. This salad will keep up to 8 weeks in the refrigerator.

5 comments:

  1. Oooo, that looks good. I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of beans! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I haven't had this in years! It looks so good. I think I'll try it very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favs. I love the salty sweety vinegary flavors that go on in this dish. It makes a great and colorful side dish every time. Thanks for reminding me about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...