January 19, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower with Smoked Paprika and Cocoa


I first saw this dish posted on Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef's blog and couldn't quite imagine how smoked paprika and cocoa flavors might be good with cauliflower.

I cut the cauliflower into medium to large sized florets and seasoned them with salt and pepper.  I put them on a baking sheet and tossed them with olive oil.  Using a fine mesh sieve, I sprinkled about a tablespoon each of smoked paprika and cocoa powder over the cauliflower.  Into the oven it went at 425F for about 30 minutes.  

You may be wondering how these flavors would mingle, too.  Trust me, they mingle delightfully!  The combination of the smoked paprika and cocoa provided a depth of flavor like none I'd ever had.  I asked my gardener what he could taste on the cauliflower and he couldn't identify it, but liked it!  If you like cauliflower, I think you'll love these flavors. 

Now for a few pictures of what our trees looked liked yesterday.  It was a chilly, foggy, frosty morning in North Central Montana!



16 comments:

  1. What an interesting combination of flavor for the cauliflower. Very intriguing. The photo shots are just beautiful.. keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smoked paprika and cocoa? I'm intrigued. And the photos are magical! I don't get to see that type of fierce winter beauty in San Diego, so I really appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting-I think I'll have to try the cocoa and smoked paprika.
    The photos are gorgeous, although I'm sure it's really cold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So when I first read the title of this. I definitely went - WTF? But I trust you. And so I am going to buy cauliflower. And get back to you. It certainly looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when unconventional flavors come together to surprise & delight and because I love all of those things, especially cauliflower, I am definitely going to give this a try.

    Very cool (or cold) pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen, we love cauliflower and I would really like to try this, it sounds so unusual (and for some reason I'm usually drawn to those kinds of recipes.) :D

    Gosh your outdoor shots are soo beautiful! Stay warm and snuggy... it looks so cold. Brrrr. Sending warm ((hugs)).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some caulifower to roast and I will try this recipe out it sounds so good to me. Very timely indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of both smoked paprika and cocoa with the cauliflower! Sounds fantastic and a perfect way for my daughter to start liking cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'll have to try this right away, it sounds so interesting! i'm firmly decided to try new flavor combos, just put cinammon and all spice in this portuguese soup and we all loved it. seems like the less traveled road really does take you places :))
    your pics are beatiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting. I'd definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in a cauliflower mood lately....that sounds delicious. I have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's not much prettier than ice crystals on trees. Seriously.

    (I'm not a big fan of cauliflower, though. Blaugh.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very different from any cauliflower recipe I've tried but it sounds tempting! I think I'm going to have to try it! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the frost/ice crystals are beautiful! We like cauliflower, so I'm going to have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...