October 12, 2010

Bolillos



A bolillo (bo-LEE-yoh) is a soft Mexican bread used to make tortas. These make a great sandwich and I think this is a really good recipe. A little crunchy on the outside with a tender crumb. I used leftovers, buttered and grilled to serve with soup.


Bolillos (adapted from Homesick Texan)
2 1/2 cups of flour, divided use
1 cup of warm water
1 teaspoon dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup of canola oil
Cornmeal


In an stand mixer, place one cup of flour, yeast and warm water. Mix well. Add 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and oil and mix until ingredients are combined. Continue mixing at medium-high speed for 5 minutes.

Place ½ cup flour on kneading mat. Turn dough onto mat and knead by hand (20-25 turns) until dough is no longer sticky, adding additional flour as needed. Dough should be soft.


Place into a greased bowl, cover and let it rise until doubled in size, about an hour.

After dough has risen, divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Take each piece and flatten it into a circle. Take one side, and fold it in half into the center. Take the opposite side and do the same. Roll folded dough with your hands until it’s spindle shaped, wider in the middle and tapered at the ends.

Place shaped rolls on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet that’s sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about an hour.

Preheat oven to 425°. Place rolls on bottom rack of oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the bolilllos are light brown in color and make a hollow sound when you thump them.


14 comments:

  1. I never heard of these. They sound delicious. It DOES sound the perfect pair for soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my complete admiration here, Karen. You can bake bread successfully - not a strength of mine. You can make bolillos - YUM! And you photographed it so beautifully! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and delicious looking bread rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!!!! They look delicious!!! I've never tried these but will change that soon. I will be printing it shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look fantastic! I have some prosciutto di parma that would love to fill those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could live on bread and cheese! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for this recipe. When I was making a torta about a month ago, I couldn't find the right kind of bread to save my life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look Great Karen, and I love breads with a little crunch on the outside!

    Have a great day!
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just what I have looking for. I love bread and these sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are truly lovely-looking rolls, I bet that really do make great sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looovee a good torta but the bun truly does make a difference! These look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must confess I couldn't read the recipe because we're on a reduced carb diet right now and I just KNOW if all the ingredients to make these happened to be in my cabinets already I'd be walking the path of temptation before I even typed this comment lol. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just made this bread, it's delicious. It's was the perfect bread to eat with our home made chilli con carne. Thank you so much Karen for posting this recipe and for taking that great pic, because that was the reason I chose this: it just looked so yummmy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...