January 15, 2011

Portuguese Rice Pudding

My grandmother never used a recipe when she made her rice pudding and I guess that my mom never made it because when we moved across country from my grandparents, we all longed for her rice pudding. My sisters and I tried lots of different recipes, but none were like we remembered eating from our Vo-Vo's kitchen.
That is, until I saw this recipe in California Farmer magazine, dated September 2, 1989. I copied the page and made some. We all agreed that this tasted just like we remembered and it's been a family favorite all these years.

Making this dish is similar to making risotto. First, 1 cup each of rice and water are brought to a boil. When the water has been absorbed, milk is added and the mixture is stirred until the milk has been absorbed by the rice. This is repeated two more times, then an egg and sugar are added. It takes a while to make, but the result is the creamiest rice pudding ever. 

If you've been looking for a rice pudding recipe and just haven't found the one that's perfect for you, I hope you'll give this a try!



PORTUGUESE RICE PUDDING
1 cup uncooked rice
1 cup water
5-1/2 cups milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup sugar
Cinnamon

Put rice and water in large saucepan and boil until water is absorbed. Add 2 cups milk and bring to a boil. After mixture comes to a boil, stir constantly to prevent burning until all milk has been absorbed. Add another 2 cups milk and bring to a boil, then stir constantly until all milk has been absorbed. Add 1-1/2 cups milk and bring to a boil, then stir constantly until all milk has been absorbed. Beat egg in a small bowl. Add a few spoonfuls of the hot rice mixture and stir. Add egg to the saucepan and stir until well blended. Add sugar, stir and cook an additional 2 minutes. Pour into individual bowls or into a 1-quart serving bowl; sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and let cool. 

20 comments:

  1. I would welcome this at the moment--comfort on a cold winter's day! Growing up, the only way we ate rice was in rice pudding. That was in the south. I had to move further south, Charleston, S.C., to find rice served as an accompaniment to a meal.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I wish I could eat this right NOW!! It is almost the same way my German grandmother made her rice pudding. When it was cold and left-over, she would make a cornstarch thickened lemon sauce and serve it over the pudding instead of cinnamon. I really must try to make this. It has been too long. Thanks. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo! I've never made rice pudding and would love to try it. I'll be glad to start out with the best recipe. Thanks for sending it along Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made rice pudding, but have a feeling I would love it. Your photo is fabulous!!
    I'm glad you liked the carbonara recipe and I totally understand about trying to photograph it. It is a homely little dish . . . You have to surround it with cute stuff to camouflage it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually adore rice pudding. Favorite dessert EVER! And yet I've never made it. This recipe is definitely going to happen in my kitchen. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious. I make "milk rice" quite often. Spread on top....butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. I have never added an egg. I will try it. I bet it makes it even creamier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pudding looks delicious Karen, i make it many times because my husband is a fan. Kisses from Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I image this version of rice pudding is much creamier than one baked in the oven. I'm going to try your version of one of my favorite desserts. Terrific photo, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine sounds a bit like this one but I don't think I add an egg which I think would make it even better. Have you ever tried nutmeg instead of cinnamon? I like either one, but nutmeg was a nice surprise when my Papaw asked for it that way. I too think Stouffers has the best quality of all the frozen foods. I can actually understand the ingredients! Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, comfort food. I'm actually looking for a good rice pudding recipe;my grandmother used to make it, but didn't pass along a recipe either. So I've bookmarked this Karen; thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen, I love rice pudding, so simple and so tasty...creamy and rich :-) Yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is just what I need to keep me warm. It looks so creamy.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Mely

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rice pudding is one of my favorite cold weather desserts. I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never had rice pudding before, but it looks really tasty. Is there a specific type of rice that is better to use, long or short grain. I'm assuming that brown rice wouldn't be good either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember eating something just like this in Brazil and, though I had never liked rice pudding before, I absolutely loved this version of it. Yours looks every bit as good as I remembered it. I have a new linky party on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for linking this up with Sweets for a Saturday. I truly appreciate your support. Hope to see you again next week. By then, I'll have a cute button that you can grab and add to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Arroz doce :)) is the portuguese name for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen, I can't wait to make this. My Portuguese MIL makes rice pudding all the time and yours looks just like hers. Because she makes it so often (and doesn't use a recipe), I've just never thought to make it myself. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen,
    Nice to know of a fellow portuguese in Montana :) Thank you for the recipe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...