November 5, 2008

Spicy Orange Garlic Shrimp with Asparagus

Pastor Ryan did a guest post on Pioneer Woman Cooks with his Spicy Orange Garlic Shrimp recipe.

With only a few ingredients...

3/4 cup orange juice
3 cloves garlic
3 T butter
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper

...and some shrimp, I just had to make it.

Be sure to check out Pastor Ryan's recipe here. I made a few adaptations to use what I had in the fridge and cupboard, so here's my version.
It's asparagus. I chopped a bunch into pieces and simmered them until they were just tender. Don't overcook them, because we'll be heating them through again later and you don't want them mushy. Drain them and save them for later.

Okay, I'm a live and let live kind of gal... if you want them mushy; if you like them mushy; if you crave them mushy... just keep them on the fire a little longer. You're the boss. And I mean that. You are.
Pour the orange juice (I used a cup because I wanted it more saucy... you'll see why later) into a bowl and added 3 cloves garlic, pressed, 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper. I also added some dried parsley because I like being green.I used frozen shrimp... thawed, with shells removed. Melt a couplatablespoons butter in a pan. Awww, look at the cute little heart in that butter. I (heart) butter.
When the butter sizzles, add the shrimp and cook just a minute or so until they just start to turn pink. You don't want to cook them through at this point. (There I go again - trying to tell you what to do. Shoot... if you want to cook them through at this point, who am I to say...)
Remove the shrimp to a bowl.
Put the orange juice mixture into the pan and let it boil up and reduce a little.
Add the asparagus and cook for a minute or two...
Add the shrimp and cook until done.... just another minute or so.
Serve over plain ol' white rice. This stuff is great!

5 comments:

  1. I heart butter too! Looks like a tasty soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen great looking recipe. You can't go wrong with shrimp and asparagus. I heart butter too, just like veronica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmm, shrimp! We just had some, with a wonderful spicy horseradish sauce, on Election Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wanted to make that recipe and I had it bookmarked in fact. I'm always glad to hear someone else's opinion on one I'm curious to try.

    Love that you added asparagus too. I would have added a vegetable on the side to round it out, but this works much better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...