March 5, 2009

Chile Verde

Chile Verde is my second all-time favorite in Mexican food. (I haven't blogged yet about my #1 favorite yet!)


I've had this recipe for years and have only made it a few times. Why? Because when I lived in SoCal, I could go to a restaurant and order it instead of going to the work of making it!

Now that I'm living in Havre, Montana and the only Mexican restaurants in town are Taco John's, Taco Time, and Taco Treat, I'll probably be using this recipe more often than I have in the past.

If you want the taste of authentic Chile Verde, you'll have to try this recipe. It tastes so good you'll think you've died and gone to heaven the Imperial Valley where you can find the best Mexican food in the world! Yes, I said it. The best.
Here are the ingredients: chicken bouillon, onion, pork shoulder, jalapenos, tomatillos, and canned whole green chiles. You'll need two corn tortillas and five cloves of garlic, too. I'm going to make this in my big ol' cast iron pan.First, "unwrap" the tomatillos and give them a bath. (Save the bubbles for you... all these need are a rinse in the sink!) Coarsley chop the tomatillos, chicken bouillon, garlic, half the onion, jalapenos and green chiles and put them into the bowl of a food processor. Mix until well combined. I thought I might have to do this in batchees, but as it turned out, everything fit and just about filled my 7-cup processor.
Remove as much fat as you can from the pork and cut into 1" pieces.
You'll end up with a big plate of meat like this!
Put a couple tablespoons of olive oil into a pan and add the meat. Cook over medium heat until the meat loses its color.

Add the sauce, cover and let simmer for 4 hours. The meat will be so tender! During the last half-hour of cooking time, cut two corn tortillas into 1/2" dice, add it to the pan and stir frequently. The tortillas will break down and thicken the sauce.
You can get the recipe by clicking right here.

15 comments:

  1. Oooh, I bet this was delicious. I love the tanginess of salsa verde.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing - I actually prefer green salsa to red salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love salsa verde, thanks!! This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Ive seen many tomatillos on blogs lately. I have to get on with it and use some. This looks fantastic!! I love all your pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had that before, it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in Los Angeles and had to laugh at the names of your Mexican food restaurants. Oh, you must miss getting Chile Verde on every street! But no worries now...you have a wicked looking dish! Perhaps you can open your own restaurant soon to fill the void!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds awesome! I bet the meat is so tender and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum, have been looking for a good alternative to the Gringolatas we seem to make all the time. We love Mexican around this house so this will definitely get made. Will let you know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is among my top three favorite Mexican dishes, too ~ and your version looks spectacular!

    I'm hungry for it right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks good! Chili verde is one of my favorites as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen. Your Chili Verde looks very festive. Can I share it in the Fiesta Chili Cook-Off this month?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Chili Verde looks delicious! I understand all too well your dilemma: when I crave a favorite Filipino dish, I have to make it myself since there are no such restaurants here. And what a great tip regarding the tortilla as a thickener. Thanks for sharing your 2nd favorite Mexican dish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmmm....from scratch even. I do a "semi-homemade" version.
    Your's looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...