June 15, 2010

Potato, Pear and Poached Trout Salad



We are lucky to be able to fish for trout 10 miles from our home and I like to serve it at least once a week. We've had it grilled, fried and baked and now, poached. Trout are bony and I've become quite skillful in removing them. All it takes is a gentle hand, a good eye, and a little patience. I challenge myself each time to remove all the bones, but one or two tiny bones always seem to get by. Some people don't eat fish with bones, period. I can understand that because if I'm eating an egg and crunch on a bit of shell, that's it. I don't care if it's my first bite, I cannot eat another. Although I don't mind a fish bone or two, I suppose it's the same thing.

This is the first time I've poached a trout and it was only because it'd been in the fridge for two days and I was afraid to leave it any longer. So, poached it was; de-boned and back into the fridge for this salad. This recipe would be good with smoked trout, too.

This was good, although a little bland for my taste. If I make it again, I'll add some heat to it. See the green on the plate? They are radish leaves; although a little rough and somewhat bitter, they are completely edible and make a pretty garnish.

This recipe was modified for last night's dinner. If you love trout, I think you'll love this recipe!

Potato, Pear and Poached Trout Salad
2 T drained canned capers
2 lbs yellow potatoes, 1/4" slice
8 oz. poached trout
1/3 c olive oil
1/4 c lemon juice
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 Bosc pear, thinly sliced
Garnish: sour cream, 1 T chopped parsley, paprika


Poach trout.  Remove skin and bones. Break fish into bite-sized pieces. Rinse capers and pat dry. Boil potato slices gently until tender. Don't overcook or they'll fall apart. 


Heat olive oil on medium-high heat. When hot, add capers (be careful - oil will spatter). Cook until berries have opened and are crisp; about 1 minute. Pour into a fine wire strainer and reserve oil. Pour capers onto paper towel to drain.


In large serving bowl, whisk oil from capers with lemon juice and pepper. Stir in potatoes and pears. Add trout and chopped parsley and mix gently. Sprinkle fried capers over the top. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and parsley sprig. Dust with paprika.


0 left comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...