May 2, 2012

Queso Fundido

It's Cinco de Mayo with Rick Bayless, our chef this go-round at I Heart Cooking Clubs
I wanted to make something a little over the top this week, and couldn't find anything better than Rick's Melted Mozzarella Casserole with Mushrooms and Smoky Chipotle Chile (Queso Fundido)

I used a combination of dried (and rehydrated) shitake and oyster mushrooms along with some fresh white button mushrooms. This casserole had a deep, smoky, earthy flavor that would go well with a glass of dark beer or even a tequila cocktail. 
Cool, creamy slices of avocados were perfect with this in a warm tortilla. This can be made ahead of time because it reheats beautifully in the microwave. We'll have leftovers with some homemade tortilla chips this weekend.
Looking for recipe ideas for Cinco de Mayo? Take a peek at I Heart Cooking Clubs and see what everyone is cooking up!

Rick Bayless @IHCC button rounded

Queso Fundido - adapated from here

2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced into half moons
8 oz. mushrooms (a mixture of shitake, oyster, and button mushrooms)
2 canned chipotle chiles, thinly sliced
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp black pepper
8 oz. whole-milk mozzarella, shredded (don’t use fresh mozz; it won’t melt)
12 Corn tortillas or tortilla chips

Heat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat the oil and add onions, stirring frequently, until soft. Add mushrooms and stir until they have softened and juices have evaporated. Stir in the chipotles and add salt, thyme, and black pepper. Transfer the mixture to a 10” cast iron skillet. Stir mozzarella into the mushroom mixture, place in oven until cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes. Serve with heated tortillas for soft tacos or as a dip with tortilla chips.

20 comments:

  1. We really enjoyed this recipe. Love your pictures--awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, ooooohhhh! Woo hoo! I love Rick Bayless, his food and his restaurants here in Chicago! Mushrooms are the best and I wonder how I missed this great recipe! Karen, please come to my house and take food pics for me----you are so talented with your camera and I'm so envious!!! You're the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much do I want to run over to your place and stick a fork into that cheesy mushroomy pan? SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 'fun' is in the queso! Yum, yum, yum. BTW, Saturday I'm posting a sourdough recipe with your name all over it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, this look really tasty, like the mushrooms with cheese and the spicy jalapenos...mmmm
    Thanks for this recipe and hope you are having a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HAVE to have me some of this queso fundido with mushrooms. Looks absolutely divine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm - cheesy mushroomy goodness! Looks yummy. ☺ Great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want this now Karen! I guess it would be smarter to make this myself, but I sure would love to go to your house and visit over a plate of these delicious musrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks too good. Always love the combo of mushrooms with cheese :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had queso fundido in Monterrey, Mexico and it was a revelation. Served up with a cold michelada? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photo Karen! I have had this recipe bookmarked for over a year. It looks and sounds wonderful. Thanks for the reminder to get off my Cinco festive butt and make it this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing! And I don't even like mushrooms. ;) I totally picked one of Rick's Queso Fundidos too. Great minds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love mushrooms, and mushrooms and cheese combined are a sure win. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks glorious, Karen. I can only imagine the loveliness of the earthy mushrooms with melty cheese...ugh...mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our son took us to Mexican restaurant last night to enjoy their specialties for Cinco de Mayo.I think you recipe looks even better.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks absolutely fantastic! I have a version of this tagged to make during our six months with Rick. I could make a meal out of this...I just love cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  17. With my love of mushrooms this is going to have to go on my "to-make" list soon. It looks wonderful with the avocado slices. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fundido is new to me, but I have made a mushroom quesadilla before so I just know how good this combination of taste and texture can be. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, that looks delicious! i definitely need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! I've never seen a dish quite like this, but I know it would be a big hit in my house. Mushrooms are always met with rave reviews! I love that its vegetarian too, so I may have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...