May 12, 2012

Coffee Flan with Cajeta

I chose Rick Bayless's Flan de Cafe with Cajeta for this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs.

Can you say time consuming? This was. I used whole milk in place of goat's milk for the cajeta and stood for a little over an hour at the stove, stirring. The cajeta is delicious. The recipe asks you to strain the cajeta after cooking and I just don't see how that would be possible. Maybe I made mine too thick? I don't think so, but there's no way I could have gotten that flan through a strainer!
I had a bit of a fail with the flan. Oh, it was creamy and delicious - coffee flavored with a hint of orange, but I used regular grind coffee instead of coarsely ground and couldn't strain all of the coffee out before baking the flan. You can see the grounds settled at the bottom of the flan. At least they weren't crunchy, so it didn't ruin the flan. If you make this, I would recommend using whole coffee beans in the mixture, which would be a breeze to strain.

All in all, this is an excellent dessert. I halved both recipes and it worked well.

Happy Mother's Day!

xRick Bayless @IHCC button rounded

11 comments:

  1. A lot of Rick Bayless recipes are time consuming, but they always seem well worth the effort. I don't think I've ever tried any of his desserts. Looks and sounds really good Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT is absolutely heavenly. I want to dive into that pic of the cajeta. And I kinda like the look of those coffee grounds in there... so pretty :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes time-consuming reaps their rewards. That looks rich and dreamy. Sorry about the coffee challenge, but I don't think I'd mind. I love coffee, and the texture might be kind of delicious fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks absolutely delicious, Karen. I'm too lazy of a cook to stand for an hour and stir something, but I'd definitely eat it if someone else were to make it for me. Ha! :D Happy Mother's Day to you! I hope you have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!This recipe is made for me!!!Looks amazing...My two favorite desserts together. Happy mother's Day, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks yummy! I love anything with coffee! And I have to agree that the Cajeta is a lot of work, but I guess it is worth it in the end!
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! It looks so creamy and good with the cajeta dripping down and I love coffee anything. Great pick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made cajeta with the goat milk. Sure was tasty! I've always been a little intimidated to make flan. You have inspired me to jump in there and try it! Your recipe looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't go wrong with that! Looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had my eye on this one too - Charles loves coffee anything. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your homemade cajeta looks so heavenly and addictive! I can't imagine trying to strain it though. I think you did the right thing by just leaving it as it was. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...