December 15, 2008

Guest Blogger - Cookies for Santa

I'm happy to introduce my first guest blogger on 'Karen Cooks', my granddaughter, Kayla.

Kayla is very excited for Santa's upcoming visit. She'll be leaving cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve on a special plate.

Kayla used Carol's Italian Cookies recipe from Bunny's Warm Oven. Here we go!
Hi, my name is Kayla. I'm two-and-one-half years old. We're going to make cookies for Santa!
There's a lot of things you have to do when you make cookies. Gramma took the butter out of the refrigerator so it would get a little bit soft, so the first thing you should do is poke your finger right through the foil and make a big hole in the butter. It's a fun thing to do.

Next, get out all the stuff you need to make cookies... baking powder, vanilla, flour, sugar...
... and don't forget the eggs. Eggs are fun to crack.
First you put the butter and shortening in a bowl and melt it. We used the microwave.Add some sugar. Now crack the eggs and add them to the sugar one at a time. Beat them in good.
If you need help with the electric mixer, it's best to ask Gramma to help. Grammas like to help.
Put some flour, baking powder and salt on waxed paper.
There are 5 teaspoons of baking powder in this recipe. Baking powder is what will make these cookies poof up when you bake them!
Add a little bit of the flour mixture at a time to the eggs and beat until it's all mixed up.
I have to tell you how important it is to taste the batter as you go along...
... you want to make sure it's good enough for Santa!
After the flour is all mixed in, roll the dough into little balls.
Oops!
This dough is hard for me to roll into little balls, so I'm letting Gramma finish it.
Mommy and I got to lick the beaters!
Yummy! These are the cookies after we baked them in the oven.
We still have to decorate them, but it's best to taste these... remember, these cookies are for Santa!
After the cookies are cool, mix up some powdered sugar and milk. Dip the cookies in it.
Then put some sprinkles on top.We're going to freeze the cookies and on Christmas Eve, I'm going to put some on a plate for Santa.
This is my dog, Wrigley.

Wrigley likes it when I cook. He licks up everything that falls on the floor.

Wrigley is a good dog.

Merry Christmas everybody!

12 comments:

  1. Karen, what a lucky granddaughter you have. And what a nice home. It looks like it's filled with love--and wonderful baking smells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She couldn't be more adorable. Looks like fun was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe she's beautiful! She did a great job helping make Santa's cookies!! I let my granddaughter help me in the kitchen too, her most FAVORITE thing to do is the dishes! And she gets absolutely soaked doing them!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kayla-you did a GREAT JOB helping Grandma make cookies! Santa is going to be VERY happy seeing a plate full waiting for him on Christmas Eve! And Karen...I have a 4-legged "helper" in the kitchen too....aren't they the best? Good boy Wrigley!
    I'm so glad you liked the Italian Cookies....I'll be making some next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's tres cute. She looks like Cindy Lou Who from The Grinch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cookies look delicious, your granddaughter is adorable.

    The memories you made will last her whole lifetime - there's nothing like doing something with Grandma when you're a little girl. Hooray for you and Kayla.

    Peace, Judi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kayla is adorable and certainly got Grandma's genes because that girl sure can cook! The cookies came out great & look really yummy. I make Russian Tea Cakes a lot & usually roll in powdered sugar after they are cooked. Please thank Kayla for the icing recipe, that sounds much yummier :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kayla did a great job. Loved it when she put her finger in the batter, by kind of gal! I think she will be a great baker like her Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww she's so cute and she looks like she really enjoys helping! I like the one of her with her finger in her mouth. Taste testing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww karen..this is adorable!!!! she is just too cute :) :) :)
    This brings tears to my eyes..as i read..and watch. my mother in law did this with my kids every year..and included them in her cookie baking and decorating!! She has the patience of a saint..i swear! lol
    man how the time flies...
    so glad you captured this cutie on camera..so you and her can cherish them forever :)
    Merry Christmas!!
    hugs..
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Between the granddaughter and the dog, we have a serious case of cute overload here! Not to mention those cute puffy cookies...
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post Karen! Your Grandaughter is adorable, I love how you had her as a guest blogger, now I want to do this with my Grandaughter, she's 8!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...