December 20, 2011

Homemade Soft Pretzels


Soft pretzels, hot out of the oven. I ate two.

This is a really good recipe. They don't taste like the pretzels you can buy at the mall. You know the place. (Psst! They're better!)


The recipe makes 8 big pretzels. Next time I'll make make them smaller, or maybe make pretzel sticks or pretzel nuggets. And I want to chop up some canned jalapeƱos and add it to the dough. These were brushed with melted butter when they came out of the oven and they didn't fare well overnight. They were kind of soggy and the salt melted away. Next time I'll have a few friends over so there won't be leftovers. Or, I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That would work.

There are some suggestions for topping variations on the recipe page.

PRINT RECIPE

Homemade Soft Pretzels (adapted from here)
Pretzel Dough
10-12 ounces flour (about 2-1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
1 cup warm water (110°F to 115°F)
Topping
1/2 cup warm water
2 T baking soda
Kosher salt
3 T butter, melted

In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons baking soda. Bring to a simmer and stir to dissolve baking soda. Remove from heat and let cool.

Place flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment and mix well. Change to dough hook and knead for 5 minutes or until dough is soft and smooth and no longer sticky. Put dough into a greased bowl, cover, and allow to rise for 30 minutes.



Preheat oven to 500°F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, or alternatively, line a baking sheet with parchment.



Remove dough from bowl to a pastry mat. Divide dough into 8 pieces and let rest for 3 minutes. Roll each piece of dough into a long rope and shape into a pretzel. Dip each pretzel into the soda wash and place onto the greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with Kosher salt, then let rest for 10 minutes. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the pretzels are golden brown. Remove pan from oven and brush pretzels with melted butter.

13 comments:

  1. I'd probably eat more than two. And dipped into some mustard, maybe a dozen. As always great photo Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound utterly addictive. I'm such a sucker for a good pretzel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretzels make a good stocking stuffer. Too bad I arrived late. Happy New Year. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I have a couple days before New Year's resolutions come a knocking. So I think making and eating about a dozen of your pretzels is in my very near future and no doubt a week or two later ;-). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Karen! It's been years since I tried to make pretzels and I do'nt think they turned out as nice as yours. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pretzels! I'm inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like mine dipped in warm cheese, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow these are beautiful Karen! We lived on these things in Germany, I will have to take the time and make them. I also like your jalapeno swirls, a great recipe for the New Years Eve party coming up. Hope you have a very Happy New Year and more happy cooking!
    Robin Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I could eat them all before they got soggy. If not I wonder if they would freeze well (before salting)?

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy yum yum!!! can't wait to try it :D thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to be one of those friends you invite over....mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so good!!!Happy New Year,Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the SRC inspiration, Karen! You have a lovely blog and the pretzels were delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...